Broker License


The qualifications for the California Real Estate Broker license are outlined below. For more specifics on whether you qualify to take this exam, visit the California Department of Real Estate web site,

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Have two years full time experience as a real estate salesperson, or hold a Bachelor’s degree with a major in real estate.
  • Complete the educational requirements outlined by the California Department of Real Estate.
  • Pass the California Department of Real Estate Broker’s licensing exam. 

There is one exception to the coursework requirements: members of the CA state bar can apply directly for the licensing exam as long as they have at least two years of real estate related experience within the last five years of practicing law in CA.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are you wondering how to become a real estate broker? If you’re a real estate sales agent or an attorney specializing in real estate, you’re just about there. Check out our FAQ for details on how to become a broker.

How to I get a real estate broker license?
First, you need to qualify for the licensing exam. To qualify, you need two-years experience as a licensed sales agent, along with completing eight college level courses.

I’m eligible for the licensing exam, what now?
Enroll in the Real Estate Centre’s home study exam prep and start studying for your licensing exam. The course includes our exam prep book, weekly updates, online practice tests, and an audio download program (all for the amazing price of $89).

You’ll also want to apply for the broker exam. You can find the application on the DRE website.

Do the courses I took for my salesperson license count for the broker license?
Yes, the courses you took to qualify for the salesperson licensing exam are included in the eight required courses for the broker license.

Can I use college classes to meet any of the requirements for the broker license?
If you took an economics, accounting, or business law class in college, you can use any one of these classes meet the elective requirement. Similarly, if you took any real estate courses in college, it’s likely that they can be used to meet some of the requirements. Make sure the names are the same (or very similar) as required courses, and that the courses were completed at an accredited school in the US.

I took courses at a university in another country; can I use them to meet the requirements?

Possibly, but you’ll need to have your transcripts evaluated by a credentialing service chosen by the Bureau of Real Estate. See, for more information, including a list of credentialing services.

I’m an attorney, do I need to take any courses before taking the broker exam?
If you’re a member of the CA State Bar, you are exempt from the college-level course requirements. If you have at least two years real estate related experience (within the last five years of practicing law) you can apply for the broker licensing exam, but you will need to submit form RE 227 Equivalent Experience Verification to show proof of your experience (you can find the form on the DRE website). If you do not have the required experience, you’ll need to be a licensed salesperson for at least two years before you can become a broker. You are exempt from the educational requirements, but please note, to have the educational requirements waived, you need to submit a copy of your bar card along with your application.

How long is my broker license valid?
The DRE issues broker licenses for four years. At the end of that period you need to complete continuing education requirements to renew your license for another four years.